August 23, 2012

My First Political Fundraiser


I know you're thinking "Hey! This blog's supposed to be about the Washington Wizards. What does politics have to do with the Wizards?" Well, before Barack Obama was elected president of the United States...nothing. But on Wednesday of this week, NBA basketball and politics became intertwined, at least for a few hours, at Chelsea Piers in New York City. If you follow sports, you probably know Obama is well known as a hoops junkie: he appears on ESPN annually to reveal his NCAA bracket (both men's and women's); he's attended Georgetown, USA Basketball and Wizards games at Verizon Center (his Bulls lost to the Wizards in front of him - just saying...); and last season during the NBA lockout, there was talk of a fundraising basketball game in DC to raise money for his re-election campaign. That fundraiser never materialized because the NBA owners and players settled their dispute over splitting billions of dollars and got back to work, but it somehow morphed into Wednesday's event.

The Obama Classic, as the event was called, was comprised of three separate parts: a $5,000 per couple, two hour basketball fantasy camp, a $250 per person post-camp autograph session and a $20,000 per plate dinner at night co-hosted by Michael Jordan and Obama himself. The event was advertised featuring players like Magic Johnson, Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning, Carmelo Anthony, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo and the Wizards' John Wall. While the fantasy camp and dinner were a little rich for my blood, I figured I could stomach the cost of the autograph session especially considering the attendees, although Magic Johnson didn't end up attending. I kept my expectations very low considering the lack of information forthcoming and took the plunge, figuring if nothing else, I'd end up donating some money for Obama's re-election campaign. There are worse ways I could spend my money.

Eventually, details about the autograph session emerged via email about two days before the event with the start scheduled at 2 p.m. and ending by 4 p.m. Of course, I received this email after I bought train tickets that got me to New York at 10:45 a.m. with a return departure of 6:45 p.m. but I can always kill extra time in New York. That email also told me the players would be split into four groups and I had the right to choose who I got to meet, as long as I acted quickly and the room with my selected players wasn't already full. I opted for a subject-to-change-at-any-time-without-prior-notification group which included Alonzo Mourning, former Wizard Antawn Jamison, Dawn Staley, Brandon Knight, Dahntay Jones, John Wall and Rajon Rondo. As it turned out this was not the most popular group. In fact, it might have been the least popular. From talking to others at the event, it sounded like the groups which included Patrick Ewing and Carmelo Anthony filled up the quickest, which makes complete sense considering the New York Knicks affiliation of those two.

Brandon Knight, Dahntay Jones, John Wall and Rajon Rondo.
The session started with a question and answer portion and the discussion that emerged from the audience's questions summed up just how difficult the Wizards' situation the last two years have been. Rajon Rondo was asked about how his transition to the NBA was helped by being part of a veteran laden, championship ready team. After Rondo talked about how wonderful that was, John Wall talked about the exact opposite situation, where he was drafted by the Wizards as the face of the franchise with questionable veteran leadership to lean on (those words about questionable leadership are mine, not John's). A few minutes later, Alonzo Mourning was discussing how difficult he had it when he entered the league because of the strength of the center position in the NBA when he was a rookie having to play against grown men like Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon. Rondo, Brandon Knight and Wall all responded at once to Mourning's comments and explained that the point guard position in the NBA is probably the most talent laden position today. I'm not sure I'd disagree. Wall talked about having to play a stretch of games against Steve Nash, Rondo, Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook, essentially being a young player in the league with no easy nights. I didn't fully realize until this point that the Wizards had placed high expectations for franchise turnaround on a 20 year old (as a rookie) guy playing the position with the most competition from the opposition with little to no help from his "veteran" teammates. I may need to revise my prediction about our finishing second in the Southeast Division this season.

The autograph signing was pretty much as pedestrian as these things are: a little assembly line like with opportunity for a comment or two between player and fan. I've been through enough of these things to know how it works. There was a specially designed poster available for signature that, while not incredibly creative, I think is actually pretty attractive. I feel like I got at least something worthwhile for my $250. I was happy to see the prohibition on signing personal items (which these events often stipulate, I assume to discourage autograph memorabilia sellers from attending) was not enforced and all the players seemed very open to taking pictures and to signing items other than the event sanctioned poster. While my expectations were set suitably low, the only thing I found disappointing about the event was that Antawn Jamison wasn't in attendance. It would have been great to ask AJ how he felt about what is probably his most realistic shot at an NBA title.

John Wall signing...
The most fascinating part of the whole event for me, though, was Rajon Rondo. Rondo is regarded by many as the best point guard in the game, an opinion which I happen to share. He is also sometimes labeled as a surly, moody malcontent. He reportedly withdrew from interaction with Boston Celtics management after they traded Kendrick Perkins to the Oklahoma City Thunder and there were rumors about his relationship with Ray Allen being a factor in Allen signing with the Miami Heat for half the salary offered by the Celtics this offseason. He has also until recently been the subject of regular trade rumors. But in watching Rondo it is clear that he is more engaged and aware of his surroundings than most people. I've seen a lot of NBA players sign autographs but I've never seen anyone interact with fans the way Rondo did. He didn't just say hey or answer questions from fans. Instead, if he saw or heard something that intrigued him, he pursued it by asking questions. Pretty amazing. I came away even more impressed than when I entered the room.

...and then the no look pass.
I'm glad I went. It was actually one of the most low key NBA events I have ever attended (I know it wasn't run by the NBA). If you didn't know what was going on, you would have had no idea that a few of the best basketball players on the planet were gathered together. There were no announcements, no signs and the press was excluded. It was well done. Before I left, I asked Wall about the playoffs this year. I got a "hope so" in return. Not exactly filling me with confidence there, John. What else could I really expect, right?

My $250 poster!

No comments:

Post a Comment