October 22, 2019

Meet The Team 2019


The 2019-2020 Wizards season starts tomorrow. If I were in a different spot in my Wizards fandom, I'd be excited for the next six months or so. We have an exciting young team with a ton of future upside, with heavy heavy heavy emphasis on the word future. It could be a ton of fun to see what this group can do. I'm hoping this team makes some noise and keep me interested for the duration. To be clear, I'm expecting a lot of losing. I just think there's a chance it could be different. Ever optimistic, I know. I'm a fool. I'm a New York Jets fan too, remember.

For as long as I can remember (or about since 2003) the Wizards have hosted a Meet The Team party to introduce season ticket holders to the current players. This event has been mostly a chance to get some swag signed and to get a little free food, although some years the food was absent and the opportunity to get swag signed was pretty limited. And I say since 2003 because I believe this event was on hiatus during the Michael Jordan years as fans were experiencing "the Jordan effect", although I'm sure the Wiz meant something a bit different than the way it turned out.

This event used to be held over at MCI Center / Verizon Center (although once it was at the now-closed Newseum) but for the last ten or 12 years or so we've had to traipse out to Six Flags America in Bowie. Yes, I know my NoVA view of the world is showing in that statement but it's a long way to go, especially when it used to be held at night.

This year, the Wizards changed it up, so for the first time since 2013, I'm writing a few words about this opportunity to say hi to my favorite Wizards players (although not all of them).


The Venue
Whether it's a new change in management or just Ted Leonsis somehow being locked in a dispute with Dan Snyder (who owns Six Flags America), the party was not held out in Bowie and that was very, very welcome. The new venue? The National Museum of African American History and Culture. 

This is a win-win-win. First, the party is held in the same city that the team actually plays in. I get for non-Metro users this might have been more difficult to get to especially on a weeknight but this event belongs in the District. After all, it's the Washington Wizards, not the Maryland Wizards, we are buying into here.

Second, this is an important building. It's right on the National Mall but more importantly, there are pieces of our nation's history which need to be preserved and displayed so we don't ever go through something like this again. Yes, most of what's in the Museum is difficult to see and read and hear (go to the Emmett Till exhibit if you want to experience how cruel people can be to each other) but it's important we not forget. An opportunity for a somewhat private experience in this place is rare. I only regret we didn't have longer.

Finally, it's October and it's cold out at night. Being indoors is good.


The Event
By The Event here I mean the catering. The food (and beverage) choices here were way, way better than the hotdogs, chicken sandwiches, potato salad and lemonade you get out at Six Flags. Passed hors d'oeuvres? Yes, please!!! And especially the chicken croquettes! Mac and cheese station? Shawarma? Chicken and waffles? Yes, yes and yes!!!

The trays of chicken croquettes, mini-Cuban sandwiches and Caesar salad skewers were great. The self-serve food? Not so much. Doors opened at this thing at 6:30. Signings were supposed to start at 7:30. So an hour for some nosh, right? Not so much. The self-serve food stations were supposed to open at 7:15 so for the first 45 minutes of this shindig the catering staff did everything from shooing people away to putting themselves between hungry people and plates to keep them off of the food that wasn't toted about on trays. What a disaster!!! If they do this again, they have to change this up. Don't keep people from the food, folks!!!

Finally on this point (and most important)...free beer. You had me at free beer.


The Signings
I don't know if the food up on the ground level of the Museum distracted people but by the time we wandered downstairs for some signatures the lines were pretty short. And much to our surprise, signings were clearly going on before 7:30. I am pretty positive those two things are related.

I've stood in plenty of long lines to get Wizards jerseys, photos, cards and other items signed over the past two decades so not having to wait long to get John Wall to sign my jersey or Rui Hachimura or Troy Brown, Jr. to sign my Wizards first first round draft picks ball was very very welcome.

Just like they have done the past few years, the Wiz wristbanded some lines. Typically they have issued wristbands for John Wall and Bradley Beal and you can only get one or the other, meaning you need to bring one friend of some sort to get signatures from both. Last year, they did three for Wall, Beal and Dwight Howard. This year, they subbed Rui Hachimura for Howard, meaning you had to bring two friends (I don't have that many tickets any more) to get all the players. This practice sucks! This year, we went Wall and Hachimura. I know Wall's out all year (probably) but he's still my favorite player.


What Was Said
Maybe it was the less crowded lines or maybe it was the couple of beers (OK, three), but this year's event made it way easier to stop and talk to the players. Here's what I got out of my dialog with four of this year's team.

John Wall: I told John I was going to miss him out on the court this year. Simple response: "I know. I'm pissed." Just reaffirms John Wall being my favorite player.

Moe Wagner: Moe went to Michigan. So did I (Class of 1990). For this, I got a fist bump that I screwed up before getting a handshake. I let him know Michigan won a title when I was in school there and that the loss to Villanova killed me. Ish Smith (sitting next to Moe) burst out laughing. I'm sure I handled that wrong. 

C. J. Miles: Miles was sitting next to Isaiah Thomas signing swag. I asked C.J. if this was the Wizards killer section of the Museum. He claimed he wasn't a Wizards killer. He is. November 24, 2015. Verizon Center. 32 points as a member of the Indiana Pacers. Of course the Wiz D that night was awful. 

Isaiah Thomas: Three words here: "It wasn't me." If there was a chance at the greatest glory for the Wizards franchise since 1979, it was game seven in Boston two seasons ago (how quickly things fall apart for my teams...). Thomas killed the Wizards that season. When asked about it, he claimed no involvement. I remember differently. I also think the Celtics took advantage of Thomas' sacrifice and cut him loose. I let him know that and told him I hope he makes a ton of money in the future.

I'm glad the Wizards do this. We need more of these on weeknights downtown. I hope this season brings unexpected surprises. It all starts tomorrow in Dallas. By this time Sunday, the Wizards will already be three games in. Let's just hope we don't lose them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment