November 8, 2013

Recognition


It's been about a year and a half since I started this blog to detail the joys and struggles I experience as a Washington Wizards' fan (OK, mostly struggles). It was always intended to be a fan's story of what it's like to pour your heart and soul into a sports team (rather than being about the game of basketball). I often appear to joke in this blog about scheduling my life around the Wizards' schedule but it's actually not a joke. I really do schedule my life from very late October to at least mid April around the NBA schedule. Holidays, days off, vacations all get coordinated with the home schedule. This game and this team are important to my life.

So in between a packed slate of meetings this past Monday at work, I took an early lunch at Hard Times Cafe across the street from my office in Clarendon and while I was waiting for my Buffalo Chicken Wrap at the bar, I scanned through the Twitter posts of the morning. I can't even begin to describe my surprise when I saw a Tweet from Wizards' owner Ted Leonsis titled simply "My Swag Was Phenomenal." No way could Ted have gotten a hold of my blog and Tweeted it to the world. But that's just what had happened. I spent the next 15 minutes wolfing down my sandwich and fries dying to get back to a real computer so I could see all this on something other than my four year old Blackberry.

I don't know if this adds to my 15 minutes of fame that I feel I should be allotted or not. It just made me proud to know that the owner of the team saw my work and said a few nice words about it. I'm thrilled. Hopefully the Wiz can win their second game of the season tonight against the Brooklyn Nets. I'll be booing Andray Blatche vociferously from my upper level seats in Section 415 every time he touches the ball. Win or lose tonight, this has been a good week for this Wizards fan although a win tonight would obviously cap off the week in style.


No comments:

Post a Comment