April 5, 2020

Should I Go Wizards?


So it's April 5, the NBA is considering cancelling the season (if rumors are to be believed) and the Wizards STILL haven't sent me an email about the season being on hold. I find that last point to be unbelievable especially considering the NHL (never bought an NHL ticket in my life) and the Orlando Magic (just attended one game in Orlando ever) have checked in with me about their respective seasons being on hold. 

The Wizards did send me a note reminding me of the season ticket renewal deadline and letting me know they'd extend that for an unspecified period. Priorities.

I have not been watching the simulated NBA games during this suspension of play. I don't see the point. It's not the real Wizards players playing the video games. I can't get that juiced about a video game simulation of reality. Back when I was cooped up in an apartment in upstate New York I can't tell you how dominant the New York Jets were on Madden with me on the controller on my Nintendo and that never translated to reality either.

But a video game tournament between actually NBA players? Count me in!!! At least as long as 13 seed Rui Hachimura is representing himself and the Wizards (OK, maybe not so much the Wizards) is in the action. I spent an hour in front of the TV earlier tonight watching Rui take on Donovan Mitchell of the Utah Jazz in a game Rui was expected (by the seedings) to lose. I don't know who seeded this tournament by the way. The lower seed won three of the four games on day one by 16, 16 and 30 points. I guess there's not much data to go on here which raises the question why bother seeding.


Does this qualify as an esports event? If it does, this is my first time watching that genre of sports. I can't see much more of this in my future even though Rui managed to pull off the upset over Mitchell which I'm obviously thrilled with. The average Wizards fan hasn't had a lot of hope this year. The team's season was essentially over before it started, Davis Bertans gave it a good run in the All-Star Saturday Night Three Point Contest but ultimately came up empty and that's about it. Rui's our great hope here. Let's keep it going.

So here's the scoop: Rui's Los Angeles Lakers team took out Mitchell's Brooklyn Nets team by three. It was a four point game at half and the Nets took a brief lead in the second half only to have Rui bring LA back from behind for the win. If I'm understanding the rules correctly, I think Rui can no longer us the Lakers the rest of the way but I'm really not that sure. The game had a couple of time-space continuum issues: Kevin Durant is good to go despite still recovering from the achilles issue from last season's finals and Kenny Atkinson is still his coach, despite being relieved of those responsibilities by the Nets on March 9.

From an entertainment point of view here, I'm sure ESPN is disappointed that Rui won. Donovan Mitchell's the bigger game and Rui plays with about as much to say as I have when I'm gambling. That is...nothing. Too focused on the game. Mitchell was talking the entire time, more often than not to simulated Jarrett Allen. It worked for Rui I guess since he won.

Best line of the night: The non-response by both Mitchell and Rui to Rui's question "Should I go Wizards?" Silence from both. Rui's probably glad he didn't go Wizards. Stay away from that team please if you want a chance at winning this thing.

Second best line of the night: Donovan Mitchell with "I gotta get someone in the game who can guard LeBron." Yeah, not the first time that's been said I'm sure. Mitchell never solved that problem.

Other issues: (1) Home decor does not seem to be a strength for either player. Rui had some sort of art on the wall on his right side but overall...tons of beige/white painted gypsum board. (2) I have no desire to ever see a MyPillow.com commercial ever again. Why is that fool on my TV? (3) Of course, I wore my Rui Hachimura shirt.


Finally, is Coby White living in an apartment or a townhouse or house? To me, it looks like he's in an apartment. Glad I don't live below him with him doing basketball drills when he gets bored.

Rui's next opponent is either Devin Booker or Michael Porter, Jr. That game's going on right now. I'll be tuning in to the next one. Go Wizards! Sort of! 

Game over! On to Round 2!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment